All texts © Gertie Grumbles 2012.
Please respect my efforts and do not circulate to others.
Writing biographies can be as dry as dust .... and autobiographies can be very difficult for a child to write when they
have not much to tell.
Interesting but short enough good examples are hard to find, so I created my own...
I created three engaging characters and crafted a full suite of texts around them, 30 texts altogether.
They are pdfs in landscape format - better for showing on PCs or IWBs but OK to print, too.
The characters are:
1) Cookie Brooks, who became very rich and famous by creating a wonderful confectionery item that was totally addictive
2) Robert Brown, who made a fortune designing and coding computer games, and his amazing eco-house
3) Jake Juniper, who trains super-fast slugs that win world records for races - and how he does it.
The texts are:
- A fact-file on each character so that children can create their own texts with plenty of things to write about, with or without seeing any examples.
- A set of interview questions showing open and closed questions asked of each character.
- Three differentiated levels of biography about each character. (9 biographies)
- Three differentiated levels of autobiography about each character. (9 autobiographies)
- One flashback story about each character.
- One newspaper report about each character.
Some samples - obviously very poor resolution!!!
My suggestions as to how to use them:
- Give the children a text in one genre and ask them to use the information to re-write it in another.
- Show the children the examples of a genre and get them to pick out key features.
- Or show the children a set of the texts , eg the Cookie Brooks biographies, in reverse order and talk about how improvements can be made with subsequent re-writes.
- Or give them the news report and factfile on any character and ask them to create any of the other formats.
As children get to know the 3 characters, writing about them will become much easier, as they will know the expected content and be able to concentrate of key features of each genre.
You can buy:
GGTS01 - the full set of all three characters for £10 (30 texts)
GGTS02 - the full set of one character for £3.50 (10 texts)
GGTS03 - all the biographies for £3 (9 texts - each character written with three levels of differentiation)
GGTS04 - all the autobiographies for £3 (9 texts - each character written with three levels of differentiation)
GGTS05 - the three differentiated biographies of Cookie Brooks (£1 - 3 texts)
GGTS06 - the three differentiated autobiographies of Cookie Brooks (£1 - 3 texts)
GGTS07 - the three differentiated biographies of Robert Brown (£1 - 3 texts)
GGTS08 - the three differentiated autobiographies of Robert Brown (£1 - 3 texts)
GGTS09 - the three differentiated biographies of Jake Juniper (£1 - 3 texts)
GGTS10 - the three differentiated autobiographies of Jake Juniper (£1 - 3 texts)
GGTS10 - the interview texts and factfiles of all three (£2 - 6 texts)
You can order through paypal, sending payment to email@example.com
Please make it a personal payment so that I don't get charged a fee.
In the 'message to recipient' box, please be sure you say which collection you want.
As soon as I receive payment, I will email a zip file containing what you have asked for.
All texts © Gertie Grumbles 2012.
I have spent a lot of time and effort on writing these and setting them out attractively,
so please respect my efforts and do not circulate to others.
Please simply refer them to my website or pass on my email so they can buy their own set!